Thursday, November 19, 2020

The Moment I Became Old Aged

I remember clearly the instant that old age hit me.

I was 62, going to a weekday lunch with a friend. We agreed to meet at their office at a school district.

At the front counter, the young receptionist called my friend and said they would be up in a minute.

On the wall behind the receptionist, I noticed a sign that read “AED Here”.

 

As background, around the year 2000, I did some consulting to an Australian company that had an interesting CD-based (pre-internet) training program for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and Automatic External Defibrillator (AED). It needed to be converted from Australian English to American English and some of the Australian humor just wouldn’t work in America.

It was great going through the details of the medicine, the agencies involved, producing the American script, and hiring, coaching, and recording American actors to read it.  

Because of the consulting, I have maintained a more-than-casual interest in CPR and AED’s.  So, when I saw the AED sign, I was curious if and how the receptionist had trained to use it.

 

So, I asked her if she had trained to use the AED.

She gazed up and must have thought I was as old as the hills. Her eyes grew wide and she had a shocked and worried look on her face.

Do you need it right away?” She said.

You are old aged the moment a casual question about a medical subject results in a 911 call.